Friday, May 2, 2008

My Life and Anger

At a very young age, my family faced some challenges that led to my parents divorce. And due to this, I never got to see my father a lot. Throughout childhood, I would miss my dad and feel quite sad that I couldn’t see him as often as I wanted. This sadness turned into frustration and eventually into anger. The problem that I had once seen in my family had eventually become the struggle I would have to battle with everyday.

When I grew older, my anger had continued to incubate in my heart and cause me to be a very short tempered person. I would frequently get angry with my friends and parents when things wouldn’t go according to my expectations. My reaction would even go to the extent of verbal and physical aggression. I was like someone who had gone mad. You could say that it had gone past anger into moments of rage. Also when I had conflict with others or had been angered by what someone did, I would grudgingly hold bitterness and take a long time to calm down to forgive and apologise. I knew my friends also feared me because they would run away when they knew I was angry.

However, one day at school, during lunch time, I was walking with my friends. Suddenly, I saw my science teacher in the science lab and he asked me to come and see him. I wasn’t sure as to why he had wanted to speak with me, and never would have known that this moment would hold the transformation of my life. As he had noticed the challenges I had faced, out of care and concern he began helping me. He led me to the story of Jesus Christ being the Son of God, coming down to his earth to die for our sin. He said that in John 3:16 – For God so love the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. At that point I was amazed that to know that someone actually loved me so much to the extent of sacrificing His life for me. I felt in my heart that this love was a very different kind of love that I have been used to. Compelled by this love, I opened my heart up to God to begin His transformation process in me and invited Him into my life to be Lord. And I never regretted making that decision.

Ever since then, I have grown to be a calmer person and don’t get as easily angered as before. A scripture verse that has continue to remind me of this is James 1:19-20(My Dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires). Although, I still face the residue of this struggle I know God will still continue to change me as I yield my life to Him. All of this is for God’s glory. If he wasn’t for him, I would be a very terrible person. Praise God for that. I have experience life change as a result of letting go of my past and trusting God with my future.

Before I finish, I would like to encourage everyone to place your hope and trust in Jesus. This was the greatest decision I had had ever made and I know that it will be the best decision you can make too. Thank you.

No comments: